So I have been asked to touch on some rudimentary stuff for cooking. I was asked to talk about baking. I love to bake stuff. It’s one of the healthiest ways to cook meats and veg. I also realize that the oven is not necessarily the most convenient and fastest way to cook something.
For the sake of convenience some people would prefer to have a toaster oven or a counter top convection oven. Those things make baking stuff SUPER EASY. I used one when I was living in a smaller place with Towelliee. We lived in a small space with a small kitchen so I used my regular oven for storage space for kitchen stuff. Because I did that it was a big hassle to take out crap from the oven, find a place for it, and bake stuff. The toaster oven was an awesome alternative.
Baking standards usually dictate that you can bake “anything” at 350F or 176C in the oven. That also includes on the toaster oven as well. Bonus points if the oven has convection (fan) on it. A standard oven will have hot and cold spots and it takes a couple tries before you figure out where they are. Having a convection oven is more of a luxury bonus than anything but it helps bake things evenly pretty much every time.
Baking most meat is pretty standard and what usually changes is the seasoning, time needed to cook and whether or not there is a bone in it. Usually you want to reach an inner temp of 160F for food to be considered cooked. Always check temp near the bone. You can check with a meat thermometer for doneness if you are not sure. If meat is dense or has bones, it will take longer to cook. You can end up with more tender meat if you lower the baking temperature but raise the cooking time; low and slow is awesome if you have the time.
- 1lb of Chicken and Thigh quarters (skinless or skin on)
- Salt and Pepper Plus other seasonings that you would like to add (Italian Seasoning, Thyme, bayleaf, Rosemary with lemon, oregano ect) *or* Bbq sauce
- Olive Oil/coconut oil whatever cooking fat you wanna use really.
- Oven or toaster oven
- Glass or metal or stone baking tray
- Aluminum foil or parchment or wax paper
- Pre Heat oven to 350F/ 176C
- Cut up veggies in a medium dice if you use them.
- Lay out baking tray and line with aluminum foil. Make a pouch with another piece.
- Put chicken pieces on bake tray in foil pocket and brush on olive oil. Add salt pepper, Italian seasoning, little bit of rosemary and a squeeze of lemon. You can add the veg with the chicken or by itself on a separate tray covered in foil. With the chicken can get pretty moist. If you put them by themselves its crispier. It’s up to you. Season both the same except no lemon on veg.
- Seal foil and bake for 45 Minutes or till the juice coming out of the chicken is clear. If its chicken breast go for a 38 Minutes.
- Take out and let cool for 5 min open. Serve.