I had a need. A great need for some Greek food. I have never made naan before, but that’s why I did it. I needed the practice and I chose the recipe from Food Network. Naan is the East’s tortilla in a way; it goes great with a lot of food. This recipe is SUPER easy to recreate I can see myself making this often. I cooked the Naan on a Mexican comal and it came out pretty well! A stand mixer is not necessary for this recipe. Try not to drown the naan in melted butter. I did it and it gave the naan a gummy texture. I now lightly butter the side that just came off the comal so it’s still hot. It makes the butter on the naan sizzle…..*goofy laugh*
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- ¾ Cup Hot Water (100F)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kalonji (nigella seeds), optional
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, optional
- Melted butter for slathering on the finished naans
- Coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- Dissolve yeast in a glass bowl the hot water with 1 teaspoon of the sugar and let yeast get frothy in the water for about 10 minutes.
- While yeast is dissolving, sift together the other 1 teaspoon sugar, flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside
- In the bowl with the yeast mix, add yogurt and olive oil. Whisk.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ones. Mix with a fork until it’s turned into a dough ball, then finish kneading by hand. As soon as it’s come together, stop kneading.
- Cover with a dish cloth and ferment for 2-4 hours in a warm area, until doubled in size.
- Punch down and knead with some flour to keep from sticking. You will need flour a lot to handle the dough. Cut dough into 6 separate pieces.
- Shape dough pieces into a ball and roll out with a rolling pin. You will need more flour. Traditionally naan is shaped like a teardrop. Its up to you.
- Heat up skillet/comal/metal flat surface on stove. Cook naan dough on pan. Once blistering starts, flip. Cook to desired level of doneness.
- Brush with melted butter as soon as they are off the stove.
- Serve and enjoy!