I have never had rhubarb before so it was a great treat to finally find some in Southern California. I decided to try out a strawberry rhubarb pie. I do have to say the pie was super delicious! Here is the recipe if you want to try it. Courtesy of food.com I was able to get a good recipe. I have written the recipe using already made pie crust for more ease of use.
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Courtesy of Food.com
- 4 Cups Rhubarb, chopped
- 2 Cups Sliced Strawberries
- 1 1/3 Cup White Sugar
- ¼ Cup Cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Pie Crusts ready made
- 1 Egg, for egg wash
- Pre Heat oven to 425F
- Roll out 1 sheet of pastry dough for a bottom crust into a pie pan. Poke holes into the pie dough with a fork all over.
- Take a bowl and combine first 6 ingredients well.
- Mix egg and 1 teaspoon of water together to make an egg wash.
- Take fruit mix and place into pie shell evenly. Cover mix with second pie crust on top. Crimp edges of pie shell. Slice air holes on the top of pie shell. Brush the top of the pie with egg wash. Sprinkle top of pie with sugar. Wrap edges of pie shell with aluminum foil.
- Bake pie on a parchment baking sheet for 15 minutes at 425F. Drop down the temperature to 375F and bake for an additional 50-60 minutes. When the rhubarb top is a golden brown, remove from oven.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before serving.